Tuesday 22 September 2009

Quick blog on a slow subject

Choosing monitors for work, hands up who’s had that particular short straw. First team meeting I’ve missed in months and I get back to a bright pink post-it note. I think the colour was carefully chosen. It said, quote unquote:

4 monitors widescreen, budget ask ----------

A little explanation please, which was swiftly granted. They’re fussy buggers at work, like plenty of screen real estate, good image quality and as cheap as possible but still looking good. Like everyone wants their car to look like a Ferrari and run on air.

They knew I’d hate this job for one particular reason, in a past life I worked in IT. It’s a life I’ve tried hard to forget, mainly because I quite enjoyed it but two years slipped away in front of a computer screen. I was a generalist: simple databases, cross platform network solutions (enable a protocol on the server!), workstation build and configuration. Didn’t actually require that much knowledge, just an obsession with irrelevant detail. A tendency one or two people claim I have.

So that was a week ago and I’ve narrowed the choice down to the Benq G2200HD, 16:9 1920x1080; or the Samsung T240, 16:10 1920x1200. Hundred quid difference in the price, depends how much screen space you want. Benq probably has better colour but Samsung has a zero dead pixel policy. I spent a week narrowing it down to these two and you know what I was soooooooo bored but I couldn’t help myself, I had to read every last review of every goddam monitor that fitted the spec.

Then this morning I ordered four HP LP2475w. £700 over budget but dammit, they have an IPS panel, not the crappy TN you get on all the cheap stuff, and the best picture quality this side of an Eizo Foris FX2431.

Okay, I didn’t. Went for the Samsungs but I so need a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment